Welcome to Merchiston Publishing,
the in-house publishing imprint based at Edinburgh Napier University.
Merchiston Publishing is the imprint run by the postgraduate Publishing course based at Edinburgh Napier University.
The publications – print, ebook and online – are managed by staff and powered by students on MSc Publishing.
We publish in two areas, Scottish Classics and Books about Books. We do not accept unsolicited submissions. Find out more by clicking the links below:
1) Scottish Classics
The Scottish Classics series includes three areas of community engagement:
Books to Bairns
Books behind Bars
Readers Beyond the Margins
These books are edited, designed, created, published by our MSc Publishing staff and students, and distributed (donated) to schools, hospitals, prisons and other institutional libraries.
The outreach work being done by the students is an excellent way of showcasing their talents as well as bringing Scottish literature to the attention of a whole new generation of readers. –– Michael Russell MSP, as Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning
Slideshow: 100 copies of Peter and Wendy to Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Edinburgh) to mark 100th year of book’s publication
Slideshow: Treasure Island was launched at a FREE pirate-themed party for children, parents, carers and teachers.
The production of many of these titles is supported by charitable trusts and other bodies. Such copies are therefore distributed freely, although a handling charge may apply. To find out more, please email get in touch.
2) Books About Books
There are two ongoing series in this area: The Influence of … series highlighting the contribution that key individuals have made to the understanding of publishing, print culture and book history; The Book in … series covering the history of the book in particular European countries or groups of countries.
A complete list of all our books…
All of our books are edited, designed, printed, published and donated to schools, hospitals and libraries.
- Ah Dinnae Ken: Stories of Scottish Identity – Ah Dinnae Ken is not a Scottish Classic but a brand new collection of stories on Scottish identity!
- The Camomile
- The Day Boy and The Night Girl
- Detective McLevy’s Casebook
- The Glorious Thing
- The Hound of the Baskervilles
- Imagined Corners
- The Kelpie’s Pearls
- Maisie and the Night Visitor – (on hold) A limited edition of the book by Aileen Paterson, featuring new illustrations and exclusive content. This book celebrates 30 years of Maisie’s adventures!
- The New Road
- Olalla – by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Peter and Wendy
- Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
- The Pushkin Prizes Anthology – An exciting project in collaboration with The Pushkin Prizes. A collection of the winning entries from the competition by secondary school students between the age of 12-14.
- Sunset Song
- The 39 Steps
- Travel Light
- Treasure Island: A Playscript
Find out more about:
- All our books
- our Postgraduate Publishing programme